When the owners of a labradoodle dog discovered that their dog had swallowed a priceless family heirloom when their backs were turned, chaos ensued.
Cyd Hanson, from Cedar Rapids, Ohio, and owner of pet dog Louie realised that their dog had swallowed her grandmother’s one carat diamond ring when her back was turned.
Mrs Hanson rushed the 12-month old dog to the vets to retrieve the precious ring once she had noticed that their ring had gone missing after she had taken it off her hand and placed it on the kitchen table.
Her son had warned her that Louie was close by and had a habit of consuming odd bits and pieces, but by the time she had been informed the ring had already disappeared.
Once Cyd noticed the ring was gone and that there was a strong chance their pet dog could have eaten it they rushed the young dog to the vets. At the vets, Louie had an X-ray which showed the ring was in his stomach.
After 24 hours and having fed Louie high-fibre dog food, the one carat diamond ring reappeared unharmed from its canine ordeal. Cyd, aged 47, is a teacher and mother of two children. She said that their dog Louie did have a habit of eating unusual things as he had a tendency of eating bottle tops as well.
She said: “I had put two rings on the side table and my son said 'watch out mum, Louie might eat that ring.” Mrs Hanson said she then looked around and thought: “hold on, never mind about that ring, where's the other one?” Following the X-ray Cyd was evidently shocked at the full extent of what had happened.
Dog owners may wish to consider pet insurance for protection against the unexpected.Back to top