Caring for a New Kitten
Getting a new kitten is exciting! But it’s also important that your kitten feels happy in its new home. Here are our tips on caring for your new kitten...
- Decide where your kitten will sleep. Create a safe space for it, where you’ll put its food, water and toys. Make sure the area is big enough for you to sit and play with it too!
- Put your kitten’s litter tray away from its food and somewhere quiet so they can use it without being frightened.
- Make your kitten’s bed cosy with soft blankets. It’s best to put it somewhere facing the door to the room. This is so it can see when people or other pets are coming.
- Think about buying a scratch post for your kitten. They like to scratch their claws and might do this on furniture or carpet, causing damage.
- Make sure everyone in the house knows the rules for your kitten. This is so the kitten doesn’t get confused about what it should or shouldn’t do.
- You will probably want to cuddle and play with your kitten straight away but it might be frightened. Remember not to rush or force the kitten to do anything. Let it come out of the cat carrier slowly and come to you when it wants to. Your kitten might not want to play straight away, but soon it’ll enjoy chasing balls or pieces of string. If you have other pets, introduce them to your kitten calmly.
- If you can, give your kitten the same food that they’re already used to. Remember to feed them regularly and change their water once a day.
- After a couple of weeks, book an appointment with your vet to make sure your kitten is happy and healthy.
Before long, your new kitten will be like another member of the family! You’ll want to make sure they are always looked after so think about getting pet insurance. It can help you pay for vet costs if your kitten gets ill or is involved in an accident. Here at Asda Money we have a range of pet insurance cover types available. Find out more about Asda Money Pet Insurance, underwritten by Fairmead Insurance, here.