What is contents insurance?

Contents insurance is a type of home insurance policy that compensates you for loss or damage to items and belongings in your home. This includes things like furniture, kitchen appliances and personal possessions such as your clothes or jewellery.

It can sometimes be difficult to define what falls into ‘contents’ but, as a general rule, if you can pick it up and take it with you, it could be included in your contents insurance. For example, a toaster would fall under contents insurance but kitchen cabinets would usually be considered part of the building.

It’s worth knowing that what items are covered will depend on what’s listed in the policy, so it’s a sensible move to always read the small print.