Buildings Insurance

Keeping your home protected against unexpected damages

Young boy going to kick ball in the goal with family in the garden behind him

Owning a property can be a particularly exciting prospect, but you will likely want to protect it from unexpected damages to keep it in the best shape possible. Buildings insurance can give you peace of mind that you can get the support you need if your property gets damaged and needs some work doing to it.

You can buy buildings insurance on its own or with contents cover as part of a combined home insurance policy.

Why choose Asda Home Insurance?

  • Asda logo

    The Asda advantage

    Known for putting value for money at the centre of everything we do

  • Clipboard icon

    One simple form...

    Get quotes from the UK’s leading providers in minutes

  • Diamond Icon

    Asda service, Asda value, expert providers

    A home insurance comparison service you can trust

What is buildings insurance?

Buildings insurance is designed to help cover the costs of repairing your home’s structure and fittings if they are damaged, whether that is through an accident or a natural disaster like severe weather or earthquakes. If there is significant damage to your home, buildings insurance can also be used to cover the cost of rebuilding your home.

Any permanent features, such as guttering, pipes, cables and plumbing systems are also covered by buildings insurance to ensure your utilities are able to fully function as they should.

Garages, sheds and other outdoor structures within your property can also typically be included within buildings insurance.


What events does buildings insurance cover?

Coverage will vary depending on the provider and the specific policy they’re offering, so it’s important to check what is included when comparing quotes. Typically, the following events will be included by most policies (known as ‘perils’):

  • Fire
  • Floods and storms
  • Subsidence (sinking of land)
  • Burst or frozen pipes
  • Damage caused by fallen trees
  • Damage caused by vehicle or aircraft collision.

There are also optional extras for buildings insurance which can be added to most policies for a small increase to your premium, giving you added protection or benefits. These can include:

  • Accidental damage cover compensates you for any unintentional damage, such as a bit of DIY gone wrong
  • Home emergency cover gives you access to services that can efficiently deal with household emergencies, like boiler breakdowns, burst pipes, power cuts and blocked drains
  • Alternative accommodation covers the cost of accommodation if your home becomes un-liveable as a result of damages or household emergencies, meaning you have to move out temporarily.
  • Legal expenses insurance provides you with financial support for legal costs if you enter a dispute around your property and damages to it. As legal expenses can end up costing quite a lot, this particular add-on can be invaluable to a buildings insurance policy.

How can I get cheap buildings insurance cover?

The easiest way to get the cheapest buildings insurance possible is to compare buildings insurance quotes which are tailored to your home specifically and include any additional features you want your policy to include. With that in mind, there are a few additional things you can do to reduce the cost of your buildings insurance premiums:

  • Combining your cover as some providers offer discounts for combined buildings and contents insurance cover
  • Paying for your policy upfront to avoid any additional interest charges on monthly payments
  • Increase your voluntary excess as this can lower your overall premium, just make sure it’s still affordable in case you did need to claim
  • Look for a policy with a no claims discount so you can show providers you’re a lower-risk policyholder
  • Fitting smoke detectors to help prevent accidental fires getting out of control – prevention is always better and can help save lives

As we said, the best option for finding cheaper buildings insurance policies is to do a thorough comparison of available quotes. Asda Money can help by doing the legwork for you – just answer a few questions about your home and we can show you a range of affordable buildings insurance quotes tailored to you.

Top Home Insurance FAQs:

Do I need Home Insurance?

Neither buildings insurance nor contents insurance are actually legally required so, technically, no you don’t need them. However, some mortgage providers will require you to have at least buildings insurance before lending you money to make sure that their loan is protected and, without home insurance, you run the risk of being responsible for the full cost of any repairs your home needs after a serious incident like a fire.

Especially if you own your home, getting home insurance is a sensible decision to make sure you’re not caught out unprotected in the event of a disaster.

Is theft covered by Home Insurance?

This will vary from provider to provider but, generally, theft of your belongings will be covered by contents insurance. Following the general rule that contents insurance is to cover your possessions while buildings insurance insures you for damage to the structure of your home, standalone buildings insurance typically won’t include coverage for theft.

What does accidental damage mean?

Again, the definition of accidental damage varies depending on who you choose to take a home insurance policy with. In most cases, however, accidental damage cover will protect you against damage that’s caused suddenly by non-deliberate actions. This could include knocking over a glass of wine and ruining your carpet, drilling into your wall and hitting a pipe, or even a toddler bumping into your TV and causing it to topple and break.

Will I need a credit check?

If you choose to pay for your home insurance policy in monthly instalments over the course of the year, it’s likely that a credit check will be necessary to make sure you can pay the full sum back. This will usually be a soft credit check, however, which won’t leave a record on your credit history. When you buy annually, credit checks generally aren’t required.