Optional Cover

Tailor your policy for your needs

Two young girls playing with hula hoops in the garden

When you choose your perfect home insurance policy through Asda Money, you can help ensure you’re getting exactly what you need with a range of optional extras. This can also mean you’re only paying for what you really need, so you can enjoy brilliant value as well as great cover.

Why choose Asda Home Insurance?

  • Asda logo

    The Asda advantage

    Known for putting value for money at the centre of everything we do

  • Clipboard icon

    One simple form...

    Get quotes from the UK’s leading providers in minutes

  • Diamond Icon

    Asda service, Asda value, expert providers

    A home insurance comparison service you can trust

What home insurance add ons can I get?

Add ons:

Legal expenses insurance

Legal expenses insurance can cover you for up to £50,000 of professional fees and costs and for more than you might think, including legal claims for things like: 

  • Employment disputes – unfair dismissal, discrimination at work
  • An accident that wasn’t your fault
  • Property matters – boundary fence disputes, damage caused by neighbouring trees
  • Faulty good or services

Most providers also offer a 24/7 helpline providing free legal advice but please remember that cover can vary significantly between providers.

Home emergency insurance

Provides for short term damage repairs for a range of home emergencies – something that makes your home unsafe or uninhabitable. Things like:

  • Plumbing
  • Drainage
  • Roofing
  • Electrics, gas and water
  • Home security
  • Heating
  • Pest infestation

Usually cover is for callout charges, materials and labour up to £500 or £1,000, with most providers also providing cover for overnight accommodation that’s necessary.

Optional cover:

Accidental damage cover

Ideal for DIYers or families with little ones, this covers buildings, contents or both against costly mishaps. Spilling coffee over your laptop or accidentally smashing the TV could leave you with big bills to replace them, and accidental damage cover can help to provide the peace of mind you need.

Garden cover

Choose this cover to protect gardening equipment, furniture and items left in the garden such as patio heaters and toys. It can also cover damage to trees, plants and hedges.

Bicycle insurance

A must for any keen cyclers - this can cover your bicycle(s) against accidental damage, theft and loss at home or when you’re out and about. These may need to be specifically noted on your policy to be covered depending on their value – it’s always worth checking this.

Technology and entertainment cover

For all those gadgets you’d be lost without. Choose this type of cover to protect things like TVs, laptops, music players, mobile phones, tablets and games consoles

Personal items

With this, you can cover everyday items and personal possessions such as jewellery, watches and sports equipment

Top Home Insurance FAQs:

Do I need Home Insurance?

Neither buildings insurance nor contents insurance are actually legally required so, technically, no you don’t need them. However, some mortgage providers will require you to have at least buildings insurance before lending you money to make sure that their loan is protected and, without home insurance, you run the risk of being responsible for the full cost of any repairs your home needs after a serious incident like a fire.

Especially if you own your home, getting home insurance is a sensible decision to make sure you’re not caught out unprotected in the event of a disaster.

Is theft covered by Home Insurance?

This will vary from provider to provider but, generally, theft of your belongings will be covered by contents insurance. Following the general rule that contents insurance is to cover your possessions while buildings insurance insures you for damage to the structure of your home, standalone buildings insurance typically won’t include coverage for theft.

What does accidental damage mean?

Again, the definition of accidental damage varies depending on who you choose to take a home insurance policy with. In most cases, however, accidental damage cover will protect you against damage that’s caused suddenly by non-deliberate actions. This could include knocking over a glass of wine and ruining your carpet, drilling into your wall and hitting a pipe, or even a toddler bumping into your TV and causing it to topple and break.

Will I need a credit check?

If you choose to pay for your home insurance policy in monthly instalments over the course of the year, it’s likely that a credit check will be necessary to make sure you can pay the full sum back. This will usually be a soft credit check, however, which won’t leave a record on your credit history. When you buy annually, credit checks generally aren’t required.