• Would travel insurance cover travellers if they faced problems, for instance: flights were cancelled, or they ended up missing their hotel check-in as a result of a no deal Brexit?

    For customers who already have a policy, or who buy before the consequences of Brexit are clear, their policy will cover them for any claims for travel delay or cancellation of flights in line with their policy terms and conditions. Once the situation has been clarified we’ll update our advice.

  • What do travellers need to look out for in a policy, if one is taken out after Brexit?

    Customers should always look for a policy that’s right for their specific needs. Ideally a policy should at least:

    • Give you appropriate cover limits
    • Cover your destination
    • Cover you for the duration of your trip
    • Cover all the activities you want to do
    • Cover your medical conditions

     After Brexit however, there may other things you need to be mindful too. For example;

    • If we’re no longer able to use the EHIC, will your policy give you adequate medical coverage in Europe?
    • If there are delays or disruption due to Brexit, will your policy provide any cover for that?

    Like everyone else, we’re still waiting to see exactly what impact Brexit will have on travelling overseas. So we’ll update the answer to this question as things become clearer.

  • Will I be compensated for flight delays caused by Brexit?

    As the nature of the deal remains unknown we can’t be sure whether the airline flight delay compensation scheme will be valid after Brexit. The government has advised that the new rules will not fall below the EU standards, but wording of this has yet to be produced.

  • What do I do if Brexit causes me delays?

    Tour operators and airlines are likely to provide guidance if disruption is expected. Make sure you follow their advice and ensure you allow plenty of time to check in and to clear customs. If you find yourself delayed, or having to abandon your trip, through no fault of your own, you may be covered if you have taken out disruption cover. Make sure you keep any receipts from your delay and any documentation you get from airline or authorities. Plus, if you can, take photos of any queues or flight boards showing delays.

  • What if I decide not to travel?

    If you need to cancel your trip before your departure date, make sure it’s for one of the reasons outlined in the cancellation section of cover. Our policies don’t cover cancellations because you decide not to travel. If your airline or tour operator cancel your trip, try to claim any money back directly from them or from your credit card, as we’ll only consider eligible costs that you can’t get back from elsewhere.

  • Will the cost of travel insurance rise as a result of Brexit?

    It’s possible but we don’t know yet. There are a number of factors that could potentially cause us to increase our prices. An example of one of those factors is the possible loss of EHIC. At the moment some customers are being treated for free in Europe with EHIC, but without it, that cost will be passed on to travel insurers which could force prices up.

  • Will the terms and conditions of my current policy change when we leave the European Union?

    If you already have a policy with us we won’t change the terms and conditions during its lifetime. However, we may need to change the T&Cs of our policies after Brexit. We’ll make sure any changes we make are clear.

  • Post-Brexit, will I even need travel insurance?

    Yes! Unfortunately things can still go wrong in a post-Brexit world; luggage can still go missing, people can still have accidents or become unwell etc. so it’s always worthwhile to take out travel insurance.

  • Should I take out travel insurance to cover Brexit?

    As far as we’re aware there’s no travel insurance policy that will cover Brexit itself. Customers who already have a policy, or who buy one before the effects of Brexit are clear, will be able to claim for travel delay or cancellation of flights in line with their policy terms and conditions.

  • The underwriter behind the insurance policy is Spanish, will this have any effect on the policy post Brexit if there is no deal?

    Just in case there is a no deal Brexit MAPFRE ASISTENCIA has applied for, and has been granted, temporary permissions to continue to operate within the UK. This will ensure that the insurer can continue to underwrite insurance in the UK whilst the process for direct authorisation is undertaken. This means there will be no disruption to cover.

    If you’ve got further questions, we found these sites helpful:

    • For further travel advice, try ABTA
    • For passport info, go to GOV.UK
    • For info about driving in Europe after Brexit, ABI can help

Financial collapse of the Thomas Cook Group

  • Have you booked your travel with Thomas Cook?

    If you are uncertain about what might be covered under your travel insurance policy, the below information is designed to help you understand what may be covered and anything you’ll need to do to make a claim.

    What to do:

    • Check the Civil Aviation Authority’s website as they may be able to offer you help.
    • If you’re still in the UK and you haven’t travelled yet, the following rules apply:
      • Where you can, you should try to get a full refund from your tour operator or travel agent. We’ll only consider non-refundable expenses on your travel insurance policy.
      • If you want to rearrange your trip dates, and provided you’re not making a claim, we can transfer your policy to cover the new trip as long as it’s within three months of your original departure date, is for the same or no longer duration, and is to the same geographical area.

    If you need to make a claim, you can do so here or by calling us on +44 (0)800 138 2373.

    Bear in mind:

    • You’ll need to check your policy terms and conditions to see exactly what cover your policy provides and how much you can claim for, as different policies vary.
    • We can only cover you for the scenarios above if you both booked your trip and bought your policy before 22nd September 2019. If you bought your policy after this date, we won’t be able to cover you.


    Our policy

    If you’ve made a flight only booking and this wasn’t ATOL protected….

    Whether you’re due to travel soon or you’re abroad already, bookings not protected by ATOL may be covered by the Scheduled airline failure section of cover.

    This cover only becomes applicable where you can’t get a refund of replacement flight from the airline and where you can’t claim a refund from your credit card provider.

    Our policy covers two different scenarios:

    • If you’re in the UK and you haven’t travelled yet, we’ll pay for the cost of your ticket if you can’t get a refund elsewhere (for example, from your credit card provider, PayPal or ATOL).
    • If you’re abroad right now, we’ll pay for the cost of a one-way ticket to get you home as long as the return journey is for the same class as the original ticket.

    In both situations, cover only applies if your flight was booked as a scheduled flight, and not as part of a package holiday. You’ll need to provide proof that you can’t get a refund and were not offered a replacement flight.

    If you’ve made a package booking ….

    Thomas Cook are a tour operator and your booking should have included ATOL protection. You should have received a certificate as part of your booking paperwork. ATOL bookings are protected. The scheme will enable you to complete your holiday if already at travel or offer a full refund if you’re due to travel in the future. For more details on ATOL protection, please see the Civil Aviation Authority's website.

    Because the ATOL scheme fully protects your booking, our policy does not provide any cover for costs associated with completing your holiday or refunding your holiday costs.

    If you are away and the replacement flight home is later than your originally planned return flight….

    Where you hold a level of cover that includes delayed departure cover; we will consider any claims for delayed departure. This means that we will pay a fixed sum for each complete 12-hour period of delay.

Travelling to and from Sri Lanka

  • What does my policy cover if I'm due to travel to or from Sri Lanka?

    Update 7 June 2019: The FCO have updated their advice and no longer advise against all but essential travel to Sri Lanka. Therefore, if you do travel to Sri Lanka, any claims will be settled in line with our usual terms and conditions.


    On 22nd April 2019, the UK foreign office issued a warning for people not to travel to Sri Lanka unless it was essential.

    What does this mean for me?

    Customers who have booked to travel to Sri Lanka and have taken out their policy prior to the 21st of April 2019 will be covered for the following (provided it is necessary and you cannot avoid cancelling or cutting short your trip):

    • Travel and accommodation that you have paid or have already agreed to pay under contract which you are unable to get the money back. This also includes any local prepaid excursions, tours or activities.

    Already in Sri Lanka?

    • We’ll cover any unused expenses in line with the above and any reasonable extra travel costs incurred such as any flight amendment fee to move your original return flight to an earlier date.
    • If you’ve organised a separate flight these must be on an economy or equivalent and you should attempt to obtain a refund from the airline you were originally due to fly back with.

    If you need further help on this, please refer to the ‘Cancelling and cutting short your holiday’ section of your policy terms and conditions document. This will give full details of the cover available to you and also further information about the maximum sum each traveller is covered for.

    For customers who have purchased their policy, booked a trip or departed the UK from the 22nd April onwards, there will be no cover under the policy.

    If you’re unsure if you’re covered or have any further questions, please give our team a call on 0208 712 1301.

    For more information and regular updates please visit the foreign office website.


  • Is it safe to put my personal details online?

    Yes. Whenever Asda Travel Insurance ask you for personal information, it is within a secure environment and all details sent between your PC and the Asda Travel Insurance website are encrypted.

About the insurer

  • Who insures Asda Travel Insurance?

    Asda Travel Insurance is underwritten by MAPFRE Asistencia Compañía Internacional de Seguros y Reaseguros, Sociedad Anonima. 5th Floor, Alpha House, 24a Lime Street, London EC3M 7HS Company Number: FC021974. Branch Number BR008042. Trading under the name 'MAPFRE Assistance'.

Policy arrangments

  • I’m travelling today. Can I get instant cover and policy documents?

    As soon as your credit or debit card details have been accepted, confirmation of your cover is provided on screen, and to the email address you have given. You can also choose to get a text with cover details to your mobile. Provided you have your policy number, emergency number and claims number, you have all the basic information you need.

  • Can I travel without my documents?

    Yes you can. A policy reference number is all that is needed for proof of insurance when travelling. It is however, recommended that you take your documents with you for information and also for when you are asked for brief details of your policy cover. Or, if you don't yet have documents, remember to take a note of important telephone numbers you might need.

  • When does my cover begin?

    If you are buying a Single Trip policy, your cover begins instantly. If you are buying an Annual Multi-Trip policy, you can choose when your cover begins (up to 364 days in the future). If you have already booked a holiday, and have no other travel insurance arrangements in force, you should ensure your policy starts immediately, so you are covered for cancellation.

  • Can I change my policy details?

    Yes you can. If you need to update information about yourself, such as a change of name, address or telephone number Asda Travel Insurance will re-issue an updated policy schedule. If you need to add Winter Sports cover or want to increase the number of people insured, Asda Travel Insurance will just need to issue a new policy and schedule. Just call on 0800 138 2377 to make these changes.

  • How do I renew my Annual Multi-Trip policy?

    Asda Travel Insurance will remind you about 3 weeks before your policy expires, and offer you the opportunity to buy another policy by telephone or internet.

General cover questions

  • How many days am I actually covered per year under the Annual Multi-Trip policy?

    This gives you cover to travel as many times as you like during any one period of insurance as long as no single trip lasts longer than 35 days if you have chosen Value, 45 days if you have chosen Premium or 90 days if you have chosen Superior. We will only cover you for up to 31 days for each trip if you are aged 66 and over.

    Additionally, we also include winter sports cover for up to 18 days during the term of your annual policy. If you have chosen the Superior level of cover this will be increased to 24 days during the term of your annual policy.

  • Do the limits under the policy apply per person or per policy?

    Each of you is covered separately up to the limits shown in the policy schedule. The policy limits apply in the same way as they would if you had each taken separate policies.

  • Am I covered for holidays in the United Kingdom?

    Yes, we provide non-medical cover for holidays in the UK as long as there is a minimum of 25 miles radius between your home and your pre-arranged and booked accommodation. (Please see the policy document for full details fo the sections of cover which do not apply to holidays within the UK).

    Please note that for the purpose of this insurance, we define the United Kingdom as England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland and do not include the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man.

  • What am I not covered for?

    The most important exclusions are highlighted in the Policy summary, FAQ's and in the statements you’re asked to confirm before you buy the cover. It is not possible to list everything you will not be covered for, so we suggest you read the full policy wording. Under each section of cover you’ll find a list of exclusions of ‘what is not covered’ as well as the general exclusions. These sections must not be read in isolation, but within the context of the full policy wording. If you have any doubts about what is not covered, please contact Asda Travel Insurance.

  • What happens if my journey home is delayed beyond the insurance period?

    If, due to unexpected circumstances that are beyond your control and which fall under the conditions of your cover, you cannot finish your holiday within the period of insurance set out on your validation certificate, we will extend your cover for up to 30 days. We will not charge you for this.

  • At what age will my child stop qualifying for the 'kids go free'?

    As long as your children travelling with you are under the age of 18 and in full-time education they will qualify for the free children's insurance cover.

    Up to three kids can go free for every one paid adult travel insurance policy.

  • Will my annual multi-trip policy auto-renew?

    To make sure you have continuous cover under your policy, we will aim to automatically renew (auto-renew) your policy when it runs out, unless you tell us not to.

    We will write to you 21 days before the renewal date of your policy, and tell you about any changes to the premium or the policy terms and conditions. If you do not want to auto-renew your policy, just call us on 0800 138 2375. Otherwise we will collect the renewal premiums from your credit or debit card.

Scheduled airline failure

  • Will I get my fare refunded if the schedule airline I have booked on ceases to trade?

    Yes, Asda Travel Insurance includes SAFI which means scheduled airline failure insurance. In short it means, you're covered if your airline goes bust. You can also recover the costs of flying home on a different airline should yours go into liquidation whilst you are abroad and the flight costs more than £99. If the flight is ATOL bonded you may recover your money from them.

Travelling separately

  • Can children travel independently/separately on an Annual Multi-Trip policy?

    Everyone on an Annual Multi-Trip policy is entitled to travel independently, but children under 18 who travel alone must be dropped off and picked up by a responsible adult aged 18 or over.


  • What if I have a medical emergency abroad?

    We will help you immediately if you are ill or injured outside the home area you live in (or the final country of your journey if you are on a one-way trip).

    We provide a 24 hour emergency service 365 days a year, and you can contact us on the following numbers:

    Emergency phone number: +44 (0)208 712 1303

    Emergency fax number:       +353 91 501619

    Please also note that if you are in the USA and need to see a doctor, contact us any time of the day or night and we will be pleased to make the necessary arrangements on your behalf.

    When you contact us you will need to provide the following information:

    • Your name and address
    • Your policy number shown on your validation certificate
    • Your phone number abroad
    • The date you left and the date you are due to come back

    You should also refer to page 12 of your policy wording booklet for further details.

  • Do I have to pay medical expenses and claim them back or will you pay them directly?

    If it’s a medical emergency and you are admitted to hospital, the emergency assistance service may guarantee the fees of the hospital and attending doctor(s) - so you don’t have to pay. In cases where the expenses are small, you may opt to pay, or be asked to pay, and claim the money back. Please talk to the 24/7 Emergency Assistance service (Mapfre Assistance), unless the case is very minor, who will decide what to do. Asda Travel Insurance will not pay for any expenses not covered by the policy. Mapfre Assistance can be called at any time to help you.

Treatment in Australia

  • What should I do if I require medical treatment in Australia?

    Australia operates a reciprocal health agreement with the UK which requires you to enrol in Medicare to get free public hospital treatment. Medicare is Australia's equivalent of the National Health Service.

    If you require medical treatment in Australia you must register for treatment with Medicare. If you do not, Asda Travel Insurance may reject your claim or reduce the amount paid to you.

Air ambulance

  • Will I be covered for an emergency air ambulance back home?

    If it’s a medical necessity and appropriate, an air ambulance will be provided.


  • I am over 76 – can I take out a policy

    Only single trips are available after the age of 76 but there is no upper age limit.  Our Annual Multi-trip products are available up to the age of 76.

  • I am under 18 - can I buy an Asda Travel Insurance policy?

    Unfortunately no, policy holders must be at least 18.


  • I am pregnant - will I be covered for medical expenses?

    You will be covered from cancellation and medical costs relating to unexpected complications for the full term of your pregnancy and premature birth more than 8 weeks (or 16 weeks if multiple birth) before the expected delivery date.


  • What is meant by the term UK resident?

    Someone who is living in England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and the Isle of Man and continues to live there throughout the period of insurance. Please note that for the purpose of this insurance the UK does not include the Channel Islands.

  • I am British but my partner does not have British citizenship, can we purchase a policy to cover us as a couple?

    Yes, provided you are both resident in the United Kingdom and your partner is your spouse or a person of either sex with whom you have been living with for at least three months as though they were your spouse.

  • I live overseas. Can I buy Asda Travel Insurance?

    Unfortunately no. Our customers are required to meet the following residency criteria at the time of purchase:

    • Be currently living in the UK
    • Have been in the UK for 6 out of the last 12 months

    Also all trips must start and finish in the UK.

Single direction journeys

  • I am going to live abroad and am not returning to the United Kingdom. Can I buy an Asda travel insurance policy to cover me for this outward journey?

    Yes – This would be classified as a one-way trip and is defined as a single outward holiday or journey beginning from your home in the UK. You could buy one of our policies to cover this outward journey but must be aware that the cover ends 24 hours after you leave immigration control in the final country you go to or at the end of the period shown on your travel insurance validation certificate, whichever is earlier. 

  • I am starting my journey from another country, but returning to the United Kingdom after 28 days. Will Asda Travel Insurance cover me?

    Sorry no, trips must begin and end in the United Kingdom.


  • How can I pay?

    You can pay online or over the telephone using a valid credit card, debit card or pre-payment card

Multi or Single Trip policy

  • Which cover option should I choose? Single Trip or Annual Multi-Trip travel?

    If you're likely to be going on holiday more than once a year, you may well find that an Asda Travel Insurance Annual Multi-Trip policy is more convenient and cost effective than taking out a separate policy each time you travel. Just calculate the cost of buying a number of Single Trip policies and compare it with the cost of Annual Multi-Trip. Other factors to consider are, for instance, that it takes time to repeatedly buy new policies and it may slip your mind if you’re booking a late deal.

Winter sports

  • Am I covered for a skiing holiday?

    Yes, but only if you select the Winter Sports cover option. When you have purchased this it will be shown on your Policy Schedule.

Business Trips

  • Can I buy this policy to cover a business related trip?

    Yes – we provide a Business cover option which can easily be added to your policy via the online or offline purchase process. This section only applies if you are travelling on a specific business trip, have paid the appropriate extra premium and it is shown on your travel insurance validation certificate.


  • What do I do if I want to cancel my policy after I've paid?

    You have the statutory right to cancel your policy within 14 days from the day of purchase or renewal of the policy. If you wish to do so you will be entitled to a full refund of the premium paid provided you have not travelled, and there has been no claims or incident likely to give rise to a claim. Following the expiry of the statutory cooling off period, you continue to have the right to cancel your policy at any time by contacting Asda Travel Insurance, but no refund of premium will be available. If you wish to cancel your policy you can contact Asda Travel Insurance on 0800 138 2377.

    For all single trip policies that have an end date within 31 days of the date of purchase, there will be no cancellation or cooling-off period applicable and no refund will be payable on these policies at any time.

  • Can Asda Travel Insurance cancel my cover?

    Asda Travel Insurance may cancel this policy by sending 30 days’ notice to your last known address. Part of the premium may be returned to you. The policy may be cancelled immediately if you do not pay the premium.

  • Could I get anything back if my holiday is cut short?

    Yes, some of your money may be refunded if your holiday is cut short by one of the circumstances described in the policy wording; for example death, illness, fire at your home or because the police require you to. You do not qualify for refunds for reasons outside those shown in the policy wording


  • How can I make a complaint?

    Asda Travel Insurance do everything they can to make sure that you receive a high standard of service. If you are not satisfied with the service you receive for sales or claims issues, such as how our sales staff dealt with your call, please write to:

    The Customer Relations Manager
    Asda Travel Insurance
    PO Box 5927
    Warrior Square
    SS1 2JY
    Phone: 0800 138 2374

    If you are still not satisfied with the way we have handled your complaint, you may take your complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service who will investigate your complaint:

    The Financial Ombudsman Service
    Exchange Tower
    E14 9SR
    Phone: 0800 023 4567


  • What do I do if I have to make a claim?

    You must register any claim to Travel Claims Services within 31 days of your trip ending. If you do not, we may not be able to pay your claim. If you need to make a claim, please send a brief description of your claim to:

    Travel Claims Services
    1 Victoria Street
    Bristol Bridge
    BS1 6AA

    Phone: +44 (0)208 712 1301
    Fax no: 0330 400 1292

    Our suite of section specific claims forms are available to download from

    Travel Claims Services are open Monday to Friday from 9am until 5pm, and will send you a claim form as soon as you tell them about your claim. To help us prevent fraud (people making claims that they are not entitled to) we keep your personal details on a central system. We keep this information according to the rules of the Data Protection Act.

    Please also refer to‘What to do – Claims information’on page 13 of your policy wording booklet for further details


Medical conditions

  • I have a medical condition, can I be covered?

    You can declare your conditions quickly and easily using our online medical screening system or, if you would prefer to speak to one of our friendly agents, call us on 0800 024 1128.


  • What do you mean by any costs payable because an insured person has that medical condition?

    A pre-existing medical condition is any medical condition which falls into any of the following categories which any person insured on this policy has, or has had for which they have received treatment (including surgery, tests or investigations by a doctor or a consultant/specialist and prescribed drugs or medication) in the last 2 years:

    • Any blood circulatory condition including, but not limited to, high blood pressure, hypertension or high cholesterol;
    • Any heart-related condition;
    • Any diabetic condition;
    • Any neurological condition including, but not limited to stroke, brain haemorrhage or epilepsy;
    • Any breathing condition including, but not limited to, Asthma, Emphysema or Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD);
    • Osteoporosis or any arthritic condition;
    • Any bowel condition including, but not limited to, Crohn’s disease or Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS); or
    • Any psychiatric or psychological condition including, but not limited to anxiety or depression;


    • Any cancerous condition for which you have had treatment or hospital tests for in the last five years; or
    • Any medical condition for which in the past 12 months, you or any person insured on the policy has been referred to or seen by a hospital doctor or surgeon other than an A&E Doctor, or needed in-patient treatment in hospital.

    For your information, examples of conditions that can directly or indirectly be linked to any pre-existing medical condition include, but are not limited to:

    • Someone with breathing difficulties who then suffers a chest infection of any kind;
    • Someone with high blood pressure or diabetes who then has a heart attack, stroke or mini-stroke;
    • Someone who has or has had cancer who suffers with a secondary cancer; or
    • Someone with osteoporosis who then suffers with a broken or fractured bone.

    You must inform Asda Travel Insurance of any pre-existing medical conditions you have before purchasing insurance. To do so, you can use our quick and easy online medical screening system or you can call us on 0800 024 1128.


  • If cover is refused for my pre-existing medical condition, am I still covered?

    We will not cover any claim directly or indirectly linked to any declared and excluded pre-existing medical conditions where we cannot offer cover for the condition(s) or you have chosen not to pay the premium to provide cover. The rest of your travel insurance cover will not be affected by this exclusion.


  • I already have a policy but I've recently been diagnosed with a new medical condition. What do I do?

    If you already have a policy and there has been a change in your medical status, please call our customer services team on 0800 024 1128.