Cheap Travel insurance Europe

Getting the right cover for a holiday in Europe

Dad and daughter playing with ball in pool

When you’re heading off on a trip to Europe, it’s important to know you’re properly protected should anything go wrong. We’re here to provide answers to the most important questions about travel insurance for holidays to Europe.

Do I need travel insurance for Europe?

Even if you’re only hopping across the Channel, travel insurance is definitely worth considering. As with any holiday, things can go wrong, from lost baggage to cancelled flights or stolen valuables. Insurance can help to cover unexpected costs or problems even if you’re still close to home.

It’s also important protection against medical costs should you fall ill or get injured while you’re abroad, as these can become very expensive.

Do I still need travel insurance with an EHIC card?

A European Health Insurance Card covers you for emergency medical care in the local health service of the EU country you’re visiting (not private hospitals), but it’s not a replacement for travel insurance. For UK travellers, EHIC cards issued before the end of 2020 will be valid until their expiry date (on the front of your card), entitling you to reduced cost or Free State healthcare within the EU countries that you visit. From 2021, the EHIC will be replaced by the GHIC (Global Health Insurance Card). Visit for the most up-to-date information on the EHIC.

An EHIC or GHIC only covers you for certain essential medical treatment, but bills can become very expensive for certain procedures or extra help such as air ambulances. Travel insurance (Europe) provides more comprehensive medical cover for travelling in Europe, as well as covering things like your belongings and travel disruption, depending on your policy.

Which European countries are covered by travel insurance?


The countries covered by your travel insurance depends on your provider. You should always check your policy covers your destination even if you’re only travelling within Europe or travelling to destinations nearby.

Our Asda Travel Insurance policies cover all the countries of Europe as well as a few adjacent destinations such as Egypt and Morocco. See below the full list of countries our European Travel Insurance covers:

Albania, Andorra, Armenia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Azores, Balearics, Belarus, Belgium, Bosnia And Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Canary Islands, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Egypt, Estonia, Faroe Islands, Finland, France, Georgia, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Madeira, Malta, Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro, Morocco, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, San Marino, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Tunisia, Turkey, Ukraine.

Do I need a visa to travel to Europe?

If you’re travelling as a tourist, then UK passport holders can visit the EU visa-free and stay for up to 90 days in any 180 day period. At the border, you may need to show an onward ticket, and to demonstrate that you have enough money for your stay. You should always check the latest advice before you travel - visit for the most up-to-date information on travelling in the EU.