Caring for a New Puppy
Getting a puppy is exciting but make sure you have everything prepared first. This will help your puppy to feel happy in its new home. Here are our tips for looking after your new puppy...
- Decide where your puppy’s bed will go. It’s a good idea to put it somewhere that doesn’t have carpet in case your puppy has any toilet accidents! This mean any mess will be easier to clean up.
- If you have a crate to put your puppy in, set this up first. This way your puppy can get used to it straight away.
- Most dogs like to chew things so keep dangerous or precious things away from your new puppy. This includes wires and cables. Don’t forget fragile items. Make sure harmful chemicals are out of reach too.
- If your new puppy isn’t allowed upstairs, you could fit a baby gate.
- When your puppy comes home for the first time, take it to the toilet. You should wait until it relieves itself without rushing it. Also, make sure it uses the area you want it to for the toilet.
- If you have a crate, leave the door open so your puppy can come and go as it pleases. This will help it settle in. Try not to be loud or too excited around your new puppy. Introduce your puppy to children quietly and calmly. And make sure your puppy is used to you before it meets strangers.
- You should put an identity tag on your puppy’s collar. You should also get it microchipped with your information. If your puppy already has a microchip, you must update the information.
- Make sure everyone in the house uses the same words when talking to your puppy. This means it will learn the words quicker and won’t be confused. Try to keep to your daily routine, so your new puppy learns what to expect from you.
- In the first few weeks of your puppy’s life, you should take it to the vet. The vet will give your puppy important vaccinations and check it’s healthy.
- It’s also a good idea to train your puppy and the vet can help you choose a training course.
Hopefully, your new puppy will bring a lot of joy to your family. You’ll always want to look after it and you might want to buy pet insurance. Pet insurance can help to pay expensive vet bills if your puppy is ill or is hurt in an accident. Here at Asda Money we have a range of pet insurance cover types available. Find out more about Asda Money Pet Insurance, underwritten by Fairmead Insurance, here.