Keeping Your Pet Safe From Poisons

dog eating peas off a plate

It’s very important as pet owners to be aware of what foods and products are toxic and potentially poisonous to your furry friends. It’s important to know what to keep your pets away from, but it’s also good to make sure you’re prepared just in case they ever do eat something they shouldn’t.

We’re going to take a look at the different foods, plants, and products that you should keep your little pup or kitten away from, and the signs you need to look out for in the event they eat something poisonous.



What is poisonous to dogs?

There are many different household products that can be toxic to dogs, so it’s important to be aware of these so you can keep them safely out of reach of your pets.  

Over-the-counter pain medication like paracetamol and ibuprofen are toxic to dogs, as well as many supplements and herbal products. Prescription medications you or family members may take are also highly poisonous for dogs, such as antidepressants, blood pressure medications and prescription pain meds.

Naturally, household cleaning products are also very bad for your dog, just as they would be for us, so keep them safely locked away.  



What foods are dangerous for dogs?

Food and drinks that you and your family enjoy can look very tempting to your dog, but there are foods they definitely should not eat. This includes things like chocolate, chips, grapes and raisins, nuts, coffee and alcohol, all of which are harmful for dogs, and can cause them serious problems.

Chocolate is one of the most poisonous products for dogs and can cause them to be very sick in small amounts and can be fatal if eaten in large quantities.

What is poisonous to cats?

Just like with dogs, over-the-counter and prescription medications including antidepressants, diet pills, cancer medications, cold medicine, pain relievers, vitamins and other supplements can be very harmful to cats. Always keep medication and other tablets safely stored away in a drawer or cupboard that your cat can’t get to, and don’t ever leave them lying around on the kitchen table.

Common indoor and outdoor plants can also be quite harmful to your cat’s health, so if you have plants like aloe, azalea, chrysanthemum, tulips, hyacinth, lily or mistletoe in your home it’s best to keep your cat away from them so they don’t accidentally consume it.

Household items like cleaning products, toys, holiday decorations and even dental products like floss can be harmful for your cat and can cause all sorts of internal problems if they’re swallowed.



What foods are toxic to cats?

Many human foods and drink can be poisonous for your cat. Whilst they may look irresistibly cute and hard to ignore when they beg to try something you may be eating, there are things you should never share with your cat.  

This includes alcohol, coffee, chives, chocolate, garlic, grapes, onions, raisins, and yeast dough. If your cat consumes any of these, you should take them to see the vet. 



What should I do if my pet eats something poisonous?

If your pet consumes anything that you believe may be dangerous to their health, you should get them thoroughly checked out by a vet as soon as possible.

Symptoms you need to look out for can be very varied, but the most obvious are things like vomiting, and an upset stomach, or if they are acting very confused or seem to be upset. If you spot any of these symptoms and suspect they’ve eaten something, get in touch with your vet immediately.

Trustpilot reviews